How to Take ORKAMBI®
The recommended dose of ORKAMBI is 2 tablets every 12 hours. Your dose may be different. Your healthcare provider will tell you how much ORKAMBI to take and when to take it.
Continue to take all of your other prescribed cystic fibrosis (CF) therapies as directed by your healthcare provider.
Always take ORKAMBI with fat-containing food.
The importance of taking ORKAMBI with fat-containing foods
ORKAMBI should always be taken with fat-containing foods because the fat helps your body better absorb the medicine. You can take ORKAMBI right before, during, or right after your meal or snack.
Examples of fat-containing foods you can take with ORKAMBI include eggs, avocados, nuts, butter, peanut butter, cheese pizza, and whole-milk dairy products (such as whole milk, cheese, and yogurt). Explore recipes for fat-containing meals and snacks.
Every dose matters in changing the course of your CF
ORKAMBI could help you look beyond your symptoms and change the course of your disease. It's important to take ORKAMBI exactly as prescribed, along with your other CF therapies. Even if you don’t notice a day-to-day difference in how you feel, ORKAMBI could have an impact on your CF.
How ORKAMBI is packaged
Fitting ORKAMBI into your daily routine
In the morning: remove 2 ORKAMBI tablets from the blister strip (do not push tablet through backing) and take them with a fat-containing breakfast food like eggs or a bagel with cream cheese.
In the evening: 12 hours later, remove 2 ORKAMBI tablets from the blister strip (do not push tablet through backing) and take them with fat-containing dinner food like salmon or cheese pizza, or a fat-containing dessert like ice cream or peanut butter balls.
If you take ORKAMBI at times other than breakfast and dinner time, you may take it with a snack that contains fat. Some options for fat-containing snacks include whole-milk string cheese and trail mix with nuts.
Set reminders on alarm clock or phone (yours or the person's you care for) as a way to remember it's time to take ORKAMBI.
What to do if you miss a dose
- If you miss a dose within 6 hours of when you usually take it, take your dose with fat-containing food as soon as possible
- If you miss a dose, and it is more than 6 hours after the time you usually take it, skip that dose only and take your next dose when you usually take it. Do not take 2 doses at the same time to make up for your missed dose
- Tell your doctor if you stop ORKAMBI for more than 1 week. Your doctor may need to change your dose of ORKAMBI or other medicines you take
Keep ORKAMBI and all medicines out of the reach of children.
- If the person you care for takes ORKAMBI at school, make sure he or she takes fat-containing foods to school or to afterschool activities
- Young adults away at college can install a mini-fridge in their dorm room to store foods like whole-milk yogurt and cheese that need to be kept cool
- Cook large portions of fat-containing food ahead of time so you can have leftovers for lunch or freeze in individual portions to eat later
- If you have a child with CF taking ORKAMBI, make sure the school nurse knows your child has CF and is familiar with daily medications and any physical or dietary needs
- Some children have difficulty swallowing pills. The good news is that with a little help, your child can learn how to swallow pills more easily. Ask the healthcare providers at your child's CF center for any helpful suggestions they may have
As the holidays approach, don’t forget to fill your prescription!
Keep in mind that pharmacies may have limited hours and delivery schedules during the holidays. Don’t forget to plan ahead to make sure you have enough medicine on hand.