The Goals of Treatment
Some of the goals of cystic fibrosis (CF) treatment are to:
- Improve or maintain lung function
- Reduce the number of pulmonary exacerbations
- Improve nutrition
Before starting on ORKAMBI®, you should discuss your treatment goals and the potential benefits and side effects you may experience while taking ORKAMBI with your healthcare provider. You should also understand how CF is affecting you now, before starting treatment.
Some topics to consider:
- Your current lung function (FEV1)
- Your current weight or body mass index (BMI), and other areas related to your nutrition
- The number of pulmonary exacerbations you’ve experienced and how often you’ve experienced them
- The symptoms you experienced during your last pulmonary exacerbation
FEV1 is forced expiratory volume in 1 second, measured with a spirometer.
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of a person’s weight relative to height. Use the tool below to determine your own.
Pulmonary exacerbations are periods when CF symptoms get worse and require medical attention. This can be the result of infections. During a pulmonary exacerbation, CF respiratory symptoms such as coughing and the amount of mucus in the lungs may increase. A person may lose weight during a pulmonary exacerbation. The damage pulmonary exacerbations cause to the lungs may be permanent.
Not sure what your BMI is?Enter your weight and height into the calculator below to find out.
Recommended BMI for adults with CF:
Men age 20+: ≥23 kg/m2
Women age 20+: ≥22 kg/m2
Be sure to discuss your BMI with your healthcare provider.
As the holidays approach, don’t forget to fill your prescription!
Keep in mind that pharmacies may have limited hours and delivery schedules during the holidays. Don’t forget to plan ahead to make sure you have enough medicine on hand.